Most people come to the practice of meditation looking for something and are pleasantly surprised at what it ends up taking away. Reduced stress response, less hostility and the need for judgement, reduced need to worry, and less fear of the unknown are just a few of the things we've noticed in ourselves and our students who have decided to commit to a regular practice of meditation. Many report enhanced compassion for themselves and others, increased mental clarity and an ability to handle more challenges with grace and ease. The latest science on meditation shows that you can actually change brain tissue, specifically the amygdala (the area that governs appropriate emotional response) in as little as 30 min a day for 30 days.
Why Do I Meditate?
I'm a better version of myself in every single area of my life. It's that simple.
Myths of Meditation
- Meditation is New Age Non-Sense.
- There's nothing new about meditation. It dates back thousands of years and has been extensively studied in the scientific community proving its ability to reduce anxiety, depression, high blood pressure & insomnia.
- That it will change your religion.
- While meditation is practiced in many religions it is possible to practice without violating your religious principles. Hillary has taught mantra meditation to a wide range of people, from Atheists to Priests and Nuns.
- You must be able sit cross legged.
- Comfort is key or you won't do it.
- You can learn from a book.
- While many books provide valuable insight on different types of meditation we have found in our own practices that teachers were imperative to our continued success and discipline.
The word "mantra" comes from two Sanskrit words : man, which means "mind," and tra, which means "vehicle or instrument." So a mantra is a mind vehicle or your mind instrument that is used to transport the mind from a state of activity to one of stillness and silence. Typically, most mantras are sounds, syllables, or vibrations that don't necessarily have a meaning. Their value lies in their vibrational quality, not in any meaning that humans, society, culture or civilization has placed on them over the past few thousand years. Connecting with a vibration that has existed since the dawn of creation is what allows one to go deeper in their practice into a space of connection with everything that ever existed or that will exist into connecting with oneness consciousness.
Nakshatra mantras are based off of the ancient Jyotish calculation of heavenly bodies the moment you were born. Your mantra is derived from the first star seen by the moon on the Earth's horizon as you passed from the unmanifest into the manifest of creation.
For this reason it is necessary to have the time, date and location of your birth prior to your appointment to accurately calculate your mantra. I like to think of this mantra as your star of destiny, embodying the sacred contract your soul signed up for when entering this life. Many of my students that have had trouble meditating in the past or didn't think they could calm their minds regard their Nakshatra mantra as a game changer, allowing them to finally get quiet, experience peace so that they can begin to observe and harness the power of their mind as they peel back the layers getting closer to their pure unconditioned selves.